Environment Maps:
sponsor image 1st Choice Windows
sponsor image Dinos Building
Advertise On Just Ask Dino

Enter Our Directory

sponsor image
If you would like to be a part of justaskdino.com please complete your details below

Home Security

Article 361 [ added on 10-12-2009, updated on 03-06-2010 ]

Planning Permission

If the dwelling is situated in a "designated area" i.e. Conservation Area, Listed Building, National Park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Planning and other permissions may be required.

Planning Permission will be needed if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate if:

  • It would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere.

You do not need Planning Permission to remove, alter or improve a fence, gate or wall except in a Conservation Area where consent would be needed.
You do not need Planning Permission for a hedge as such though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on "open plan" estates, or where a driver's sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent.

Building Regulations

Fences, gates and walls do not require Building Regulation Approval. The structures must nevertheless be structurally sound and maintained.
If the garden wall is a party fence wall then you must notify the adjoining owner of the work in respect of the Party Walls Act 1996.

Security Fencing

•   V mesh and flat mesh panels – These are panels made out of metal also allowing full visibility for security. The V shape mesh has a little dip at the top making it harder to get over. The posts are also made of strong steel.
•   Steel palisade fencing Great for securing industrial places as they are thick and have a sharpened edge at the top.
•   Site hoarding – Normally used around building sites. Sheets are usually nailed to posts that come untreated and can be painted.
•   Barbed wire – fixed wire with a galvanized finish to last for life. There are different types that can be used for security or live stock.
•   Electric fencing – Electric fences are mainly used to protect animals like sheep, pigs, cattle and horses from foxes. Electric fencing is not, however, used exclusivly for animals or farms.

Gates & Intercom

There are four main types of gates available for security, each having its own advantage.
•  Swing gates, Automatic / Manual
•  Barriers, Fixed / Automatic
•  Sliding gates, Automatic / Manual
•  Pedestrian gates, Automatic / Manual


An intercom is a common choice for those with longer driveways and commercial use. It will allow the occupant of the dwelling to speak to a visitor before granting them entry through a gate. Planning permission is not normally required for this facility.


External Lighting

With it getting dark in the UK as early as 4pm in the winter, external lighting is an asset. It can be used to light up our pathways, and help towards the security of our properties.
External lighting, such as flood lights and spot lights are all designed to be weatherproof. Not only that, but they often work off sensors, so they automatically turn on at night when there is movement, but not during the day.

Interior Lighting

Planning permission is not required for the installation or maintenance of electrical circuiting around the home. If you live in a listed building or conservation area, you should check with your local authority.
Internal lighting is a fundamental part of day–to–day life as we know it. When it comes to security, be sure to close all curtains at night time whenever you have lights on, otherwise anyone on the exterior of the building can see right into your home.

House alarms
Most modern houses have alarms with interior sensors built into the main rooms, when the alarm is active, the sensor picks up movement and requests that the code to be entered, if it is entered incorrectly or not entered at all, the alarm will trigger; alerting the surrounding area. Some house alarms are linked directly to emergency services, who will receive the alarm and check it out
IR beams and telephone alarms
IR beams (Infra–Red Beams) can be placed on any wall, and act as an invisible trip wire. Two sensors need to be installed parallel to each other, this allows the beam to be received on both sides. If the beam is broken once armed, it can trigger a logged event and raise an alarm.

The alarm raised can be sent directly to your local police for immidiate response, and/or to you by mobile phone.

CCTV (Closed–Circuit Television) is a form of security used widely across residential and commercial properties. Often, CCTV can provide vital evidence during times of criminal activity, this evidence can later be used in court, by local police, or by insurance companies.

Security Paint
This can be applied to walls, fences, poles etc.
It is a thick layered paint that never sets, and makes surfaces extremely slippery, and very hard to climb. It also stains skin and clothing, so police will know when an attempt has been made. Use this in conjunction with other security measures to get a maximum effect.
It is advised not to put security paint below 7–8 foot, to avoid accidental contact.
It may also be a legal requirement to put up a warning sign in public or commercial properties.

Was This Information Helpful?

just Ask Dino Facebook Page
Just Ask Dino.com Twitter Page,